Chromecast for Sling has arrived!

Chromecast_1

Every day, we hear your suggestions about how to make Sling better. Over the past few months, we’ve heard about one thing more than any other via your social media messages, emails and calls: Chromecast. We’re ecstatic to announce that Chromecast support has arrived for Slingbox M1, 350 and SlingTV/500 customers using the Slingplayer app on iPhone, iPad, and Android phones. Support for Android tablets will be rolled out soon.

If you’re not familiar with Chromecast, here’s a quick rundown: It’s a dongle (don’t you love that word?) made by Google that you plug into a TV’s HDMI port. It lets you “cast” content onto the big screen wirelessly from apps running on your mobile device. When paired with the Slingplayer app, you’ll be able to watch any of your cable or satellite programming (live or recorded) on any TV that’s been set up with Chromecast. Remember, both the Chromecast device and Slingplayer-equipped mobile device must be on the same network. And when they are, you’ll be able to control your TV with a soft remote interface that shows up on your phone or tablet:

Playback_Chromecast

Chromecast, like the other popular Sling-supported video streamers including Roku players and Apple TV, is compact (less than three inches long) and inexpensive ($35). We feel this will present a simple but powerful solution for our Sling customers who want to watch on multiple home TVs without setting up more than one set-top box, or would like to use Sling to watch their home content on a TV in a hotel, vacation home, office or anywhere else.

For those who have been asking for Chromecast support for a while, thank you for your patience, and for everyone else, we hope you’ll give it a try. As always, we’ll continue to make Sling the best TV anywhere experience possible.

231 comments on “Chromecast for Sling has arrived!

1. Frank says:

Very dissapointed to find out hd-pro not supported, fix please

2. Mike McC. says:

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus; provide Chromecast support for the Pro-HD. Come on. How many p!ssed off people are you trying to make?

3. wilef says:

Where is the Pro-HD support, Brian? Why are you no longer listening to your customer’s requests?

4. Roger says:

We spent good money on the pro hd model when it first came out now models that sell for a fraction of what the pro hd sold for are getting the best features first. This is what really angers people including me…

5. Wow what a butt fucking disappointment trying to get my galaxy tab to play dish anywhere through chromecast. $15 on slingplayer app and im no better off.

6. I got it refunded. Im better now. Fix your shit though

7. Micah A says:

Still though fuck you i have to get an app to support an app to watch an app. Fix your shit

8. David O says:

My first really disappointing moment in my long relationship with slingbox was this morning when I installed a chromecast I bought for the new chromecast slingplayer app only to find it did not support my two pro-hd boxes. This omission likely designed to drive Pro-HD customers to the newer slingboxes, which are in some ways important to me less capable than the venerable Pro-HD, should be reversed quickly. Why tick off such a large part of your customer base?? I bought the enabling android $14.99 software app and my hardware should be supported. Not a good business decision.

9. john says:

Owner of a solo,pro hd ,and m1 here. I regret purchasing the m1. you can no longer use the web player or original desktop slingplayer .sling also disabled the option to add a guest account.the only thing I like is the ability to connect the box with wifi. My 5 yr old pro hd actually performs better than the m1. I returned my chromecast due to the lack of pro hd and solo support. Your only option is buying a roku , which works well. I think this is the last time I purchase a sling product. Listen to your customers sling!

10. Larry says:

I too, will join the group of extremely unhappy customers with Sling and it’s lack of Chromecast support for the PRO HD.. I, like a lot of you, bought the PRO HD during it’s peak, paying premium pricing for it. I paid the 29.99 on 4 devices (each on my wife’s and my iphones and ipads). You have very much demonstrated your greed in front of loyalty for your customers, and customers that no doubt are the ones that made your company successful. Just note, that like your company, electronics will fail, and I’ll have to purchase another device to watch my local tv…..I can promise you that if you don’t reconsider supporting Chromecast on the Pro HD, I will never purchase your products again…and alot of your loyal customers / products that built your name most likely will not

11. J Henry Slentz says:

It doesn’t work from any remote location..just local network. It’s like they tested it in their office but never tried it from their home to their office. Never connects. Tried different ipad’s, iphones, androids, different locations. Still the same bug – can’t get it to work away from my home network. I’m not the only one..check out their forums. Fix this guys!

12. P. Shah says:

I can only echo the sentiments exhibited here. Support older devices, and leave your greed behind!

13. Mikey D says:

no pro-hd support; chromecast returned

14. John says:

To any pro hd or solo owners who are thinking of using the slingbox on the new amazon fire tv device. “Sling Media has been offering Slingbox models and apps for years, but the Fire TV app only supports 3 recent Slingbox devices: the Slingbox 350, Slingbox 500, and Slingbox M1.” So basically no support for legacy slingbox users.

15. John says:

So your only option for pro hd owners to cast are screen mirroring on Apple TV or any of the newer roku devices.

16. Ben says:

350 user here. Chromecasting doesn’t work through app but works fine through screen mirroring. Really poor implementation on your guys’ end.

17. Ronald Ashcraft says:

Amazing..!!

The chromecast support is a blessing for one and all.

However, people are asking for chromecast support for Sling media slingbox PRO-HD which is also available.

Surfing the web I found a website named slingboxplayers.com which has complete information about each and every product from slingmedia and provides large number of products at cheaper rates than anywhere.

18. Matt says:

Everyone wanting Pro-HD support please to the link below and fill out the form saying you want pro-hd support for the chromecast. You can also call them 1-800-313-4274. Maybe if enough people send them emails and calls they will get the picture. https://store.slingmedia.com/DRHM/store#bottomForm

19. CL says:

Wow, so I’m not the only one. I’m not sure which bothers me more:

1. Having to pay 4.99 AND 14.99 (IIRC) for an iPhone and iPad version of an app.
    Most companies encourage app uptake by giving them away for free, especially for customers who have already purchased a device.

2. The slingplayer app not supporting HD and SOLO Slingboxes.
    Supporting the HD and SOLO versions takes NOTHING from your development team. Disgraceful.

I’m looking for an alternative ASAP. If other commenters have suggestions, please post!
    Clearly, the company is run by people living in a previous decade. Good luck, you’ll be dead soon if you don’t change your ways.

• David says:

CL. I have the roku 3 which works with the solo and pro hd. The roku streaming stick is a cheaper option. Similar to the chromecast. You can also use the mirroring option on an Apple TV. As you can see there’s over 100 requests for pro hd and solo support. No response from sling.

20. No Pro-HD support for Chromecast? This is terrible customer service – especially given the fact that when I called into Customer Support, THEY TOLD ME PRO-HD WAS COMPATIBLE WITH CHROMECAST.

21. When will we be able to cast to Chromecast from a browser-based SlingPlayer (Sling 350)? It can’t be any harder than the support required for the mobile apps, no? This is how I pull up Netflix and HBOGo all the time. It’s much easier to control the Slingbox from SlingPlayer in a browser than from my cellphone’s app. I’m hoping this isn’t just a scheme to get more money from mobile apps. I bought the mobile app, but I’d still prefer to launch Chromecasting from my browser.

22. […] Chromecast for sling has arrived! « slingbox blog Description: My first really disappointing moment in my long relationship with slingbox was this morning when i installed a chromecast i bought for the new chromecast slingplayer. Post Title : Chromecast for sling has arrived! « slingbox blog Source : blog.slingbox.com Read More : Chromecast for sling has arrived! « slingbox blog […]

23. Tom says:

I’ll add yet another voice here, but in my case for the Solo. I recently bought this (admittedly via eBay) as it suits my limited needs. If the existing app can work with the Solo to sling to Apple TV and Roku, there is clearly no technical reason it cannot also sling to Chromecast. Not including this support won’t encourage me to buy a newer Slingbox when my existing one works, in fact it will more likely encourage me to find another solution and not return to Sling as a customer. The situation might be different if you offered the apps for free, but as it stands I’ve already had to pay (a rather high price!) for both the iPhone and iPad apps. This move on the part of Sling is disgraceful.

24. Xavier says:

So disappointing! I’d like to echo the sentiments of so many on this blog – the decision to not support the Pro-HD and ultimately not support your “legacy” customers is a very bad move. I’ve had nothing but great things to say about Sling for over a decade. That in itself is an amazing example of how strong of a product you “had”. Having sad that, that will be the last Sling product I will buy – unless you change the decision to support the Pro-HD. Hell, at least respond to your F’ing Customers!!!

25. Frank Valentine says:

I’m with everyone else. Disgraceful that there is no support for Pro-HD and even worse that they refuse to even answer the numerous complaints listed here.

26. srcliffo says:

Can slingplayer work to cast Dishanywhere from a Windows computer to the screen? Currently, I only get the webpage, not the actual video. I can use my phone via the castscreen, but then it ties up my phone when watching TV and I can’t text or anything. That’s very unfortunate.

• Slingbox says:

When you say “to the screen,” do you mean to a TV screen? There are a number of ways to handoff Slingplayer mobile content to a TV without tying up your phone — Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV. Are you using one of those?

27. Tony says:

Unhappy Pro-Hd owner, can’t understand the logic in not supporting the Pro-Hd with Chromecast. Until now I’d happy recommend slingbox to anyone and around 3months ago a friend purchased one after speaking to me. This lack of support will make me look elsewhere in the future. Why buy a new slingbox when they show they won’t keep up support? If it just isn’t possible explain to us all why

28. James Smith says:

Still upset that there is no Chromecast support for the Pro-HD and that our cries for support have been falling on deaf ears, but I’ve recently had the opportunity to test the connectivity with a Slingbox 350, and would like to share my experience.
    Unless your Chromecast is on the same local LAN as your Slingbox, you’re going to experience a weird buffering issue (not matter how fast your upload or download speed is). With the AppleTV and Roku, that issue is not there.
    Airplay is available for those who have a Pro-HD and an AppleTV (and an apple moile device with the Slingplayer App), but it’s not as good because you’re actually mirroring your mobile apple device. When you do that, you can’t get a full screen image. You can only get that with an M1, 350, or 500/TV.
    As other’s have said, if you have a Pro-HD, you might want to look at getting a Rouk 3 or Roku Streaming Stick.

29. Colin Brown says:

I too have problems. NONE of my phones, tablets or laptops will cast Sling to Chromecast. Ipad, Samsung Galaxy S2 or S4, laptops with IE or Google Chrome. At very best all I can get is a black box where the picture should be. For the amount I have spent on Slingbox and the EXTRA cost of apps, I really am starting to regret this expenditure. Looks like I’ll be going back to hardwiring the laptop to the HDMI and hanging the whole lot from a plastic bag tied to the wall mount bracket.

• Slingbox says:

Sorry that’s happening, Colin — have you contacted our support? You can reach them via phone or chat at support.slingbox.com/contact.

• Colin B says:

What support? According to your info, I bought my Slingbox in 2011. I bought it in 2012. I’ve tried the embedded player on my chromebook and it works; now and then. Forever getting RC=0 errors or it tells me that my Slingbox isn’t on even though when I connect with my phone via the same wifi connection; everything is fine. And $30 for a call that might not even cure the problem; I don’t think so!
        I’m was considering getting a newer model, but at present there is NOTHING to convince me to do so.

30. DDP says:

Ordered the HD-Pro then found it it wont work with Chrome Cast, com’on this is stupid, sling you are quickly coming across as money grabbing company with no thought for you’re customers, £9.99 for android app wow…. sort it out, and I like you’re North Koran method of just blanking all these complains about the HD-PRO not being compatible with Chrome Cast Nice

• Slingbox says:

DDP – sorry that you were not informed prior to your purchase. We’re not claiming that PRO-HD works with Chormecast. I recommend two options: If you just bought your Slingbox, check with your retailer on return policy and replace it with a compatible Slingbox – like the Slingbox 350. Other option is to use your PRO-HD with a compatible streamer like Apple TV or any of the Roku boxes or sticks.

31. Johan says:

Why isn’t there support for chromecast with the pro HD!
    It is a scandal not to support this rater expensive version!

Please reconsider!

32. Craig says:

Does everyone realize that Sling is owned by EchoStar which owns DISH Network satellite TV!!!!
    They don’t give a fuck about their TV subscribers so why should they be any different with Sling customers.
    I too have an HD Pro and several Pros.
    The owner’s name is Charlie…..

33. Andy says:

habe mir letzte Woche auch eine Slingbox-HD gekauft, wollte auch auf Chromecast streamen 😦
    deswegen gekauft. Kommt da noch was? neue Software ?

34. kakger says:

Has an update taken place lately across the slingplayer network? Connecting to my pro-HD from both the windows player AND my slingcatcher results in reduced bandwidth throughput (4,000kb vs my usual 8,000kb) and now the video is VERY choppy. It was PERFECT before.

Using the FB player, it works just fine but I want my slingcatcher back!

What happened?

35. […] Chromecast for Sling has arrived! « Slingbox Blog> My first really disappointing moment in my long relationship with slingbox was this morning when i installed a chromecast i bought for the new chromecast slingplayer. Source : Chromecast for sling has arrived! « slingbox blog […]

36. Jennifer says:

reallly cheezy that you can’t cast from the Chrome app, and have to buy an app.

37. I used to be perfectly reasonable and polite however I
    still obtained screwed.

38. Babul says:

$14.99 for downloading an app after paying monthly subscription for TV?? what?? are you out of your mind? something terribly wrong with this company. It seems I signed up for 3 months and will not renew 4th month for sure! Feels like a loot.

39. J guy says:

Slingbox sucks. I bought the M2. Get connected about 50% of the time. And my network is very good at home. Chromecast definitely isn’t supported by Slingbox…Slingbox lies. Their customer support is nonexistant. Money down the drain….I am trying a Roku Streaming stick as a last resort…although, what difference that makes….Slingbox rarely connects….drops often when it does….sucks, I wouldn’t recommend Slingbox…

40. Peter says:

I hate my slingbox player for Android !!! can’t you change it …
    Much like my movie player, it should have a “lock” button …. as the slingplayer is fragile …
    if I happen to click on one the phone button by accident, I lose, my player, and have to reconnect to it …

41. rob says:

Ill never support another Slingbox product again. No Chromecast for Pro-HD.