Slingplayer comes to the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick!

You’ve probably seen those commercials with Gary Busey, being as Busey-like as possible, using Amazon’s Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. He makes such points as how much more useful the Fire TV Stick is than a seashell:

As of today, the Fire TV products can boast yet another feature that seashells don’t have: a version of our Slingplayer app! Along with Roku, Chromecast and Apple TV, this adds another option for our customers who want a way to watch their home TV content on a second TV, anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.

Like all Slingplayer products, our Fire TV app lets you access your home cable or satellite programming, live or recorded, with no restrictions whatsoever. Whether that means setting up a Fire TV at a vacation home in another country, bringing a Fire TV Stick to a friend’s house if you want to watch a game on a channel only you get, or simply setting up a second TV in your own home, this is another way that Slingbox lets you maximize the value of the TV you already pay for.

The Slingplayer for Fire TV app is compatible with the Slingbox M1, Slingbox 500 and Slingbox 350. With sufficient bandwidth, the app is capable of delivering an HD picture, and it does not require a phone or tablet app to control set-top box commands — the Fire TV remote is all you need for it. The Slingplayer for Fire TV app is available now, for free, in the Fire TV app store.

25 comments on “Slingplayer comes to the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick!

1. dougo13 says:

I have a restriction but its my ISP’s problem. The Comtrend Modem/Router cannot send a signal out as its ports are not available via its service menu. Port 32400 (I believe) needs to be opened and cannot be done. I *might* be able to do that by buying a new router and getting the ISP to put it into bridge mode but I haven’t tried to do this. More and more ISPs are buying non user serviceable equipment so we can’t muck up the internals requiring an expensive tech visit to set it right again. Does the Slingbox also require you to do this? If so, I’m out of luck I guess…

2. Leandro says:

Awesome, Thank you ! Finally an option to watch slingbox m1 on out tv , without using the phone !

3. STEVE says:

Cool, You guys left us Pro HD and Solo owners out again. Thanks!

• Mark Ward says:

Astounded that you think it’s ok not to support the Pro-HD on the FireTV/FireStick? No way I’ll buy another Slingbox to achieve this. Is there an alternative 3rd party app that will allow our Pro-HDs on the FireTV?

4. Walter says:

Completely insulting that Pro HD is not supported. This company thinks nothing of insulting its most loyal customers, though we shouldn’t be surprised as they are now owned by Echostar, closely affiliated with Dish Network, one of the worst companies in the country, per BusinessWeek. It’s been a long downhill slide from when the Krikorians started the company. They used to personally answer customer emails. Now instead we get insulted.

5. Richard says:

The Slingplayer app for the Fire tv STICK does not work. I called Sling support last night and they acknowledged problems and said it MIGHT be available some time yet this month.

6. Farrell says:

I have a slingbox 350 and a new firestick tv and when I go to connect it – it keeps telling me I don’t have the right version of slingbox for it to work.

7. Peter Trapmore says:

How do you get all the commands up will not work UK SKY TV

8. Tk says:

I can’t find the Slingbox app on the HD Firestick. I can find Sling TV whic is a $20.00 per month service. Where is the Slingbox app?

9. Carlo says:

I have a sling catcher and two slingbox pro hd! Why I can not use it with my Fire TV stick? I Will not buy m1 or others.. You have lost a good buyer!

10. carl says:

i have 4 now not supported Slingbox hereof 3 proHD. I have stopped recommending Slingbox to my expat friends and as option to other inhouse system. you have lost many good buyers.

11. Tom says:

There is no Slingbox app for the Fire Stick. There is no Slingbox app for the Fire Stick. There is no Slingbox app for the Fire Stick.

12. Paul says:

I was using Apple with very poor results lagging. I called Sling and was advised to go with the new Fire Stick which we just installed. Once again, horrendous lagging and freezing. I’m on FIOS with 50 Megs. This must be fixed by Sling or their product is virtually useless IMHO

13. JK says:

I too have been a loyal Slingbox customer buying 7 different units over the years plus paid the 15 bucks for android app which is now free and now stuck with 2 pro hd boxes. And i too am pissed about being left out on firestick. Firestick issue has put me over the edge. There has to be somebody out ther to figure out a workaround for this. Come on sling company, change our minds about yiu before we all ditch you for something else:( I too am an expat ready to talk anyone who asks out of slingplayer unless something is done.

• BR says:

You can use the SlingPlayer app on your phone or tablet to mirror onto the Fire TV Stick. I just installed the Miracast app on my phone Just hold down the home button on the remote until the mirror option becomes available. This will allow you to watch video from your Slingbox HD Pro using the FTV stick. Took me a while to figure this out, but maybe it is a new feature.

14. Roy says:

We have Slingbox 350, and a new Firestick. We cannot get the remote to appear. Any suggestions? Thank you!

15. The expected attendance of over 2000 visitors from 40 countries will arrive when the conference opens its
    doors. A record or a block is created every 10 minutes that
    hold the details of transactions. Bitcoins or Litecoins
    can be exchanged for “real” currency at a given rate.

16. jjenson says:

We are residents of Massachusetts, and of course Boston Red Sox fans. We are Verizon FIOS customers with 3 cable boxes in our home, and after seeing a Slingbox advertised on the Verizon web site, purchased a Slingbox500 yesterday to watch the Red Sox games at our ‘away’ cabin which has WiFi internet connection. We are VERY DISSAPOINTED TO LEARN TODAY THAT, CONTRARY TO THE ADVERTISEMENT, VERIZON FIOS DOES NOT SUPPORT SLINGBOX. We learned this after a failed installation, followed by an hour and a half of phone calls with both Verizon technical service and customer service, who said, and I quote “Verizon does not support Slingbox”. What’s up with this ?

17. Gail says:

I have downloaded the Slingbox app to both my Amazon Fire and my Fire TV. However, the remote icon on the Fire is greyed out and when you touch it the remote does not respond, but goes away. On the Fire TV both guide and remote are greyed out as well. Is there a setting that I am missing?