Sling Media Announces New Slingbox M2 with Free Mobile Apps

SlingBox_M2_sticker_3D_v4

The New Slingbox M2: Our Next Generation TV Bundle is Here

Today we are excited to announce the launch of our Slingbox M2, a new entertainment experience made to keep up with the ongoing changes in how we watch TV. With the average household having at least five connected devices, according to a recent Ericsson Mobility Report, we are here to elevate your mobile experience by giving you the ability to view at-home TV content from all of you mobile platforms, including personal computers, tablets and smartphones. The Slingbox M2 provides uncompromised access to the shows you love, whether live or recorded, anywhere you want – still with No Monthly Fees!

The design of this new bundle was created with your feedback from the M1 in mind. Here are a few of the key, upgraded features you’ll find:

• Free App Downloads: Our largest response from the M1 was the price-per-app download, so we’ve removed this barrier by offering unlimited free Slingplayer app downloads on any device. Now you can view what you’re paying for at home from anywhere in the world –without added fees!
  • Simple Setup: We also heard our customers when you said setup can be challenging. The Slingbox M2 comes with a complimentary live video setup service to make installation and use that much easier.
  • Free App Upgrades: Our Slingplayer app will include free upgrades for the lifecycle of all new Slingbox models and later this year, we will release enhancements to make the app easier to use, including improvements to video quality and a gallery viewing mode for iPhone and Android phones.

The Slingbox M2 suggested retail price (MSRP) is $199.99 and is available immediately for purchase at leading retailers including Best Buy and Amazon Marketplace, as well as at www.slingbox.com.

This entry was posted in Company.

7 comments on “Sling Media Announces New Slingbox M2 with Free Mobile Apps

1. Eric says:

2 Questions:
    1) How does this affect those of us who have purchased the apps already?
    2) What are the technical differences between the Sling 350, M1, and M2? They seem to be all the same hardware in a different wrapper.

• Will says:

I agree with Eric. I would like to know the answers to both questions. Also if apps could have some kind of customizeable buffer for memory, then my HD streaming wouldn’t lag 😦

2. Marty says:

Until they give either Chromebook support or browser support, this M# version of the Slingbox is gimped.

• Carson Tremain says:

Be careful buying a sling box it has a limited life. I bought mine in 2010. Its now out of warranty, so I am blocked from any type of support.

3. James Smith says:

I don’t think there is a technical difference between the M1 and M2. Just that the internal components may be newer, and it comes with complementary video help for setup.
    Also, although the new apps are now “Free”, there is a catch. The free mobile apps have ads inserted into the stream. You still have to pay the full price (for each device type) if you wan’t ad-free mobile apps.
    Some users may rejoice, but myself, I’m conflicted. It’s kind of one step forward and two steps backwards. Finally there’s an app for free, but it has ads. Then live channels also have their own ads. (Ads on top of ads.) That being said, I do wish they offered an ad-free desktop app, even if it did cost $$$.

4. Donita says:

Well…. slap me in the face for all my money spent and support. At $29.99 and pop times 4 and you wouldn’t chromecast my 3 older boxes…..I Should tell afriend or buy, WHY?? Again??? Boo boo the fool I’m not! The deal Ain’t worth it! And apprantly neither or we!